Special Permits

Special Permits shall be obtained for the following:

Commercial Open Burning

The City of Russellville allows for commercial open burning for the purpose of land clearing. All commercial operators shall obtain a burn permit prior to burning. A Commercial Burn Permit shall be obtained by contacting the Fire, Building & Safety Division. The permit shall include the following:

  1. Name of operator

  1. Contact information

  1. Property address of burn.

  1. Date(s) of burn.

All commercial burns shall be inspected for safety prior to ignition. Certain weather conditions such as high winds may preclude the burn. No commercial burning shall take place during burn bans . Heavy equipment i.e., dozer, trackhoe, shall be onsite for the duration of the burn.


A bonfire is a constantly attended outdoor fire utilized primarily for ceremonial purposes that has a fuel area greater than 3 feet in diameter and greater than 2 feet in height. The size of the bonfire (i.e., quantity of fuel or fuel area) may be limited at the discretion of the Fire Marshal. A bonfire is a form of open burning and requires a Special Permit from the Fire, Building & Safety Division.

In addition to the general prohibitions and forestry-related requirements and prohibitions listed below, the following fire safety requirements apply to bonfires conducted in the City of Russellville: 

  1. Property Owner Permission. Bonfires may only be conducted with the property owner's permission. No person shall kindle nor authorize to be kindled nor maintain any bonfire in such a manner that will endanger the property of another.

  2. Distance from Combustibles. Bonfires shall not be conducted within 50 feet of a structure or combustible material. Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 50 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.

  3. Fuel Area Limitation. A bonfire should not have a total fuel area greater than 5' x 5' x 5'.

  4. Allowable Fuels. Allowable Fuels. Burn only dry, well-seasoned firewood or similar clean burning wood. Land-clearing waste and/or refuse shall not be used as a fuel for a bonfire.

  5. Attendance. Fires shall be constantly attended until completely extinguished. A smoldering fire is not completely extinguished and should never be left unattended.

  6. Means of Extinguishment. A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating or other approved on-site fire-extinguishing equipment, such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose or water truck, shall be available for immediate utilization.

At the conclusion of the event, the responsible party shall ensure that the fire is completely extinguished.

Fireworks Display

A permit along with the following is required in order to promote or execute all commercial or consumer firework displays within the City of Russellville:

  1. A copy of a pyrotechnic operator license issued by a State Fire Marshal’s Office (Commercial only).

  1. Proof of certificate of insurance in an amount $1,000,000.00 for the payment of damages that could be caused, either to persons or property, as a result of the display and arising from acts of the sponsor, the pyrotechnic operator, their agents, employees or subcontractors.

  1. A diagram including the location of the display, point of fireworks discharge, location of and distance to all buildings, highways, lines behind which audience will be restrained, location of all nearby trees, telephone or electrical lines, or other overhead obstructions. 

  1. An Arkansas State Fire Marshal Fireworks Display Application shall be completed prior to obtaining a fireworks display permit.

  1. An display site inspection following set up and prior to display event.

A letter of permission may be required in accordance with Russellville City Ordinance 1515.

Above-ground Storage

The Fire Marshal is responsible for oversight of storing highly flammable materials and crude petroleum or any of its products. The Fire Marshal may also prescribe the materials and construction of receptacles and buildings to be used for any of those purposes.

Exceptions for permits:

                         -  Tanks that are part of emergency generator systems

                         -  Temporary tanks (period of use not to exceed 6 months)

                         -  Tanks less than 500 gallons in capacity and not used for retail dispensing

Persons installing an Above-ground Storage Tank shall complete an Above-ground Storage Tank Installation Application from the State Fire Marshal’s Office.